Saturday, September 16, 2006

Macadamias which didn't drop


macadamias.jpg
Originally uploaded by localcurrencies.
I read that some varieties of macadamias don't drop and have to be picked. I suspect it is what we have mostly.

Since the Australian parrots are getting everything that falls well before we get there, there is a carpet of eaten macadamia shells under the east end of the group of macadamia trees. We have had nothing much at all, except from one tree which dropped earlier.

So during the weekend I picked a lot, dehusked them by hammering them and finally put them in the dehydrator. After picking them I found that they had to be dehusked within 24 hours so that was a lot of work! Still they are fabulous now, if a little small. I will look in Ross Dean's records to find out the varieties that were planted.

No comments: