Saturday, September 30, 2006

Brebas on the fig trees


SV100723_2.jpg
Originally uploaded by localcurrencies.
These figs apparently are the early ones before the main crop and are extremely delicious. We missed them last year.

Meanwhile I had a bit of a disaster with my f ig cuttings. I put them, carefully labelled and tied up, in sawdust and under the gum trees for the rest of the winter, having been told to plant them in early September. But when I came to do it, all the writing on the labels had faded. I have both Adriatic and Brown Turkey, but no idea which is which. So I found some growing under the Adriatic and have planted these out. The brown turkeys that I had planted under the trees were actually attacked by the geese (before we had the fence) and the nice growing head was demolished. Such is the learning...Anyway the figs look good now and I managed to raise just two rue plants. Apparently rue helps them grow better so I will cultivate some more. They grow so slowly here but have done a good spurt in spring.

No comments: