Saturday, June 24, 2006

The comfrey and nettle tub/blueberries


7 great iPhotos
Originally uploaded by otaki4fruit.
We managed to get this free tub from a dye firm in Levin and Bryan put a tap in the bottom for us.

Well, I put nettles and comfrey leaves and filled it up with water and left it. Unfortunately I didn't know I had to stir it so when I used it to water the celery the other day it was frothy. Seems stirring is the caper, and of course the comfrey won't grow for a while now. Nettles will, and they are a good source of iron.

Since blueberries don't absorb iron if the pH is too high, I also put it on the blueberries, together with pine needles to sour the soil. Blueberries need a pH of between 5 and 6 and the reading on our pH meter is much higher still. This summer I am determined to water them enough. We will get sawdust for them too as well as blood and bone to restore nitrogen.

No comments: