Saturday, March 04, 2006

Some of today's harvest


SV100237.jpg
Originally uploaded by otaki4fruit.
On Friday we had a big southeasterly storm, wild enough to stop ferry sailings in Cook Strait for a day. I was home by myself when the wind hit and the unripe quinces fell hard to the ground. Fortunately I was there to pick up the pears that fell before the birds consumed them. Two days later I spend quite a time picking up fruit - the first of the walnuts and chestnuts, more pears and plums, more peaches, tomatoes, and sweet corn. Here is some of it.

The best news is that Bryan and Susanna were here overnight with Daniel only and that the caravan now has electricity. I will take in the gas bottle to fill, and hopefully the stove will also go. It has been very sunny in patches today and after Susanna and Bryan and Daniel had gone I lay in the sun at lunchtime in the caravan and read. It was wonderful. I am thinking of changing the curtains so the colour scheme looks better...Qunices anyone?? I will have to cook the yellow peaches as they get brown rot or the birds start on them. What a shame Malcolm doesn't eat stewed fruit. Maybe I will dehydrate them, just as I did the small sweet white peaches which didn't keep long.

No comments: